Credit 4.2: Public Information and Education
This credit provides opportunities to educate others about the Green Shores measures taken on your property.
The intent of this credit is to promote understanding and uptake of Green Shores practices by waterfront property owners, developers, contractors, the professional community, and the general public.
Where this credit applies
This credit applies to any shoreline development activities that can be demonstrated to the public.
How to proceed
Examples of public information opportunities include (note that these actions are neither mutually exclusive nor exhaustive— be creative!):
- Signs or posters on the property boundary explaining the Green Shores process and product and why it is good for the shoreline environment. This includes using a sign template offered by your local agency.
- Scheduled public tours and onsite demonstrations.
- Articles in newspapers and magazines.
- Public and school presentations.
- Documentation of the Green Shores approach on the Green Shores website and optionally, the local government’s website and/or the owner’s website.
- Volunteer advisory services, where the Green Shores property owner provides advice to other waterfront owners.
- Creation or participation in a shoreline stewardship program for waterfront owners.
- You may choose to design and carry out these information actions yourself, or you could collaborate with—or allow your local government, contractor, service providers, or a local business, community or environmental organization—to use your project for educational purposes.
Any information provided through posters, written materials, or electronically should, at a minimum:
- Describe the site values, shoreline ecological and physical processes.
- How the site design works with these features.
- How one or more Green Shorescredits have been addressed.
- Be available for at least one year.
- Be creative with photos (especially before and after) and graphics. Invite neighbors to join you in your efforts.
This credit offers 1 base point plus 1 bonus point
|Public Information and Education||
|Provide one public education measure regarding your shoreline project||
|Provide two or more public education measures regarding your shoreline project||